This document describes Catherine Bennett’s policies and procedures for conducting her operations and activities in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner.
The Catherine Bennett guiding principles and practices to achieve resource conservation, waste reduction, and sustainability overall are summarised below:
- Conserve energy and other natural resources
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle to reduce waste
- Adopt green procurement practices
- Continue to review and minimise the impacts of activities
- To positively inspire sphere of influence to adopt a ‘green’ policy to help them gain the potential benefits
a) Energy Conservation
- Turn off lights when not in use and use natural light when possible.
- Turn off, not just log off, all computers, terminals, speakers and other office equipment at the end of every work day.
- Turn off your power strip at the end of every work day.
- Activate the power down features on your computer and monitor to enter into a low-power or sleep mode when not in use.
- Unplug equipment that drains energy even when not in use (e.g., mobile phone chargers, desktop printers).
- Use LED’s as opposed to incandescent lights whenever possible.
- Utilize videoconferencing and conference calls as an alternative to travel when possible.
- Limit the use of space heaters.
b) Reduction of Materials Consumption
- Avoid using paper by distributing and storing documents electronically.
- Print and photocopy only what you need and double side your jobs when possible.
- Use the back side of old documents for faxes, scrap paper, or drafts.
c) Reduce Fuel Consumption and Air Pollution
- Travel using public transport and combine journey’s whenever possible.
- Telework one day a week, if possible.
d) Minimise Waste and Increase Recycling
- Use durable reusable beverage containers, plates, and utensils.
- Reduce the amount of toner in documents that will be printed when possible.
- Print documents in black and white whenever possible.
- Recycle paper, paper products, plastic, binders, folders, boxes, bottles, cans, batteries, electronics, toner and ink cartridges.
e) Commitment to Green Purchasing
- Purchase copier and printer paper that contains maximum post-consumer recycled content while achieving the best price.
- Purchase office supplies and furniture that contain the highest percentage of recycled and non-toxic content whenever possible.